Wednesday, September 13, 2006

I might get to sleep now

Busy is about the only word that can describe the last few days for me. Well that and not sleeping either.

Last Friday I watched the good old Elkers lose to the Brockway Rovers 12-0. On a side note, I once knew a girl from Brockway and I definitely thought about that. We actually met at Regional Chorus in 2002 (Yes, I was in the chorus in high school and FYI I was a Bass I) and then she came to SRU for a while before eventually disappearing and not reappearing on Facebook. But enough about that.

The Rovers aren’t just all fun and games. They had their own student cheering section that wouldn’t shut up throughout the entire game with the usual chants of “It’s all over” and that “Goodbye” song you might have heard of. Here was my beef though. Little middle school kids that don’t understand to walk around people like me, bump into you and then not even realize they did it. (Which mean they didn’t even say sorry or my bad or look at you with those acne-riddled faces. My editor today said middle schoolers are all ugly. I’d have to agree.)

After sleeping for 4 hours, I got to go watch soccer for 4 more hours as it was the Elk Co. Soccer Tournament. I apparently got sunburned in the face. So after sleeping for a full night, I got to do nothing on Sunday as my folks brought up a computer desk they got at a yard sale. Not too shabby indeed.

Monday started at 5:30 a.m. after 5 hours of sleep with finishing sports pages, covering a commissioners meeting and yet another soccer game, a thriller as the Elkers beat their crosstown rival 5-4, scoring with 30 seconds left. Johnsonburg was down 4-1 with 18 minutes to go and tied it at 4 before Ridgway scored to win it. The fans were crazy, which brings me to my next point.

The overindulgent high school sports fan/parent. Go to a football game and listen to the parents that don’t like an officials call on the road especially if it’s their kid.
“COME ON STRIPES, CALL IT BOTH WAYS!”
There’s more too. At halftime, I’m standing where the players enter the field and some random guy is there giving his slightly loud words of encouragement and hitting them on the shoulder pads as they go out. Every freakin player. The fans are the most insane people out there and the players are actually the most calm and laid-back about the sports. The coachers are sane too for the most part.

I also like the folks that are living their dreams of being the coach without actually having to take on the responsibilities of being a coach. I was at a soccer game today and a guy is there screaming at all the players to “MOVE IT!, “GET IT OUT!” “HUSTLE! And give word of friendly encouragement such as “YOU GOTTA GET THERE QUICKER THAN THAT!” Ahh, how glad I am that I didn’t play high school sports. I’ve seen this for a long time and anybody that’s covered a high school football game in particular will absolutely know who and what I am talking about.

I actually did enjoy myself somewhat. I got to have some really cool online chats and one of them was even with a female. It was a smilin’ good time just like it always is! I also learn the latest and greatest news from Slippery Rock and also the latest and greatest from high school football.

My fantasy football team lost in week 1. I’m looking for a comeback in week 2 against the Los Angeles G’Dubyas. We can do it if we put our minds to it.
Some of the cheers the Elker cheerleaders do are actually catchy. I can sit at work and all of a sudden “GO! PUMP IT UP, PUMP IT UP! LET’S GO! BA-DUM-BA-DUM! GO! LET’S HEAR IT! RIDGWAY IS THE BEST! How sad is that.

All right, I’m done rambling. Just remember to not get too high on yourself because you’re just a stone’s throw from hurtin.

No comments: