Thursday, September 14, 2006

The great afternoon shift

Today I worked from 3 p.m. to about 11:45 p.m. with about a 1 1/2 hour break mixed in there. I got lucky because I was originally supposed to be cover a soccer game but when I got to the stadium no one was there so I think it got rescheduled for some other time. I was so proud that I got the layout of sports done before midnight so I could get home and right this for all the people that read this on even a semi-regular basis.

I've always loved the afternoon shift. My first acquaintance with it was in the summer of 2004 when I worked at a factory in Butler making Gelsoles for Dr. Scholl's. I worked from 3:30 to midnight and it was a good time, semi-lousy money and not much of a life in between. However, I've noticed that I get to sleep as long as I want to, I'm much happier and more productive. The good news is that I get to do it again. Way to go, me.

As you may have noticed, I have changed the colors of the blog for something different. Just like how the networks that broadcasts the NFL like to change their graphics packages. (Watch for it this weekend) I thought the look of the blog was getting kind of stale and outdated but I liked the overall template so I somehow managed to change the colors after 2 1/2 hours of work and browsing through the colors in Photoshop. The green, white and black is for Slippery Rock (and my high school, Elderton where I graduated in a class of 45.) The maroon and white are the colors of Ridgway High School, the school where I cover football.

Mansfield is playing Slippery Rock this Saturday. And you know what, I will probably be there in person to watch Mansfield get crushed. (I never say definitely in case things come up that screw up my schedule) See, my co-worker, Jonathan, he graduated from Mansfield (in 3 1/2 years no less, freakin smart kid) and I had brought up the idea to go watch our alma maters play each other in tackle football. So yep, I'll see the Rock football team and probably freeze in the process. It's cold there. That Rocket editor had a seizure when he heard. Something about how he was buying me and Jonathan pancakes at Eat'n Park just because he's such a nice guy! Way to be, Cap'n Hemp! HAHA Just kidding, Scoops is a good guy. But I'm pretty sure he still had that seizure.

No comments: