Sunday, October 29, 2006

There's A Lack Of Originality

Wow, it has been a while since I last posted in the blog. I know my loyal fans in New-Media Journalism are just dying to get the latest dish on what is going on in my life.

There’s been a lot lately. I’ve covered my fair share of HS football and last Saturday I even got to cover a midget football game. That’s where I started noticing a disturbing trend; There really isn’t much originality around where I live. The cheerleading have been notorious for stealing cheers including the P-U-M-P, pump it up! Chant, (which gets used a lot by girls teams trying to get themselves ‘pumped up for the game’) and the victory cheer. The bands have been notorious for playing the same songs too. “On Wisconsin” is a popular one. My high school’s band plays about the same three songs throughout the game. Now that I’m writing this, it sounded much funnier like 3 days ago.

It won’t stop precipitating in Ridgway. Friday night it rained on my way up to Otto-Eldred the WHOLE time. Saturday, it precipitated the whole day with 40 mph winds. This morning on my way to church, It was snowing like crazy, covering the ground in town during the morning. An hour and a half, the snow was gone and it was a tad warmer. But not much.

The Steelers just lost to the Raiders. Season over. Good teams do not lose to bad teams let alone have their quarterback throw four interceptions while a certain fantasy football team owner picked him to be his starting quarterback. Oh well. I know I’ll probably read an insightful column on this on the Pittsburgh Sport Stop, where I can go read fair, balanced coverage with the only problem being spelling people’s names wrong. (Evgeni Malkin!?) That’s of course included with the MCT campus photo approved by Kevin McClatchy which automatically means it sucks.

The Slippery Rock football season is just about over and I only got a slight amount of delight in seeing Slippery Rock defeat my sister’s Edinboro Fighting Skirts, I mean Scots. They play IUP next week and I’ll be honest. I REALLY hope SRU beats IUP. (AKA West Philadelphia) Although I must say IUP has given me one of the top moments of my college life back in Nov. 2002. With the infamous IUP fight, Indiana beat SRU in overtime, runs toward this big rock in the east end zone and then EVERYONE heads out there. And I mean everyone. Players, coaches, people that lived on my floor, all those guys. And then the IUP cheerleaders head down there. Oh, how I would have loved to be in THAT press conference. Still not a fan.

Halloween is on Tuesday. Last week I had the task of photographing kids going around trick-or-treating through the various Ridgway businesses. Some decent costumes but again nothing that original. Halloween has changed for me over the years. I’m pretty sure I stopping dressing up when I was 12 and haven’t really cared for it much since then. At college, I saw my buddies use this time to get schwasted. In 2002, the Bard Hall crew took a mass group trip to Sheetz and the next year I got invited to a Halloween party at my photo editor’s house which I never made it to because I couldn’t find the house. This was not a big deal because I found out the party was lame anyways. It’s always interesting to see how the females dress for Halloween. I’ve noticed quite a few times throughout the last few Halloweens girls like to dress in um, skimpy outfits. For the guys, it’s not so bad. That’s why Halloween is not a bad holiday. Not at all. I went and bought candy in case any poor saps decided to visit me. That’s probably not gonna happen.

Wow, that was a really long post. Stay warm, I’ll talk to you later.

No comments: