Thursday, October 5, 2006

Stupid Bugs, Even Less Sleep & Facebook Fun

So last night, I’m out covering a soccer game on a pretty warm night. I’m down on the field taking some quality photographs when I notice bugs are flying around me the entire time I’m down there. I was only down there for the first half and really didn’t think about much after that.
Until this morning.

I stumbled to the shower like I usually do and notice there an itch around my hips. And my hands. And my head.

Yep, I have bug bites everywhere that seem to be swelling up every hour on the hour. Just what I wanted to do today, go and see big red and white marks all over. That’s just fantastic. Maybe next time I need to buy some bug spray or something.
The last two day I’ve gotten about five hours of sleep per night, so now naps are becoming a fast friend. You know, there’s a long lost song by Elton John called “Too Low for Zero” that talks about insomniacs and people like that. And who wouldn’t with lyrics like these:

"I'm too low for zero
I'm on a losing streak
I got myself in a bad patch lately
I can't seem to get much sleep
I'm too low for zero
I wind up counting sheep
Nothing seems to make much sense
It's all just Greek to me"

"Cutting out cups of coffee
Switching off the late night news
Putting the cat out two hours early
It isn't any use
I'm too low for zero
Insomnia attacks
Watching flies with my eyes till sunrise
It's daylight when I hit the sack"


As some of you may know, my buddy from home and dare I say, co-host of the Monday Hangover Radio Show (Which you can hear by clicking on the Monday Hangover link to your right) has created a new Facebook group entitled “Greg Reedy for Facebook Homecoming King.” First of all, I would have to say that this was his idea, not mine so for the moderate to epic success we’ve had in the day and a half of the group, I’ve got to give him the props. The idea basically came about when he said, “I’m nominating you for Facebook Homecoming King.” I say “OK” and it’s all set up. A lot of my friends are in, but you don’t even have to be my Facebook Friend to join it. You just have to be on Facebook. I even have my own campaign manager who made some gnarly flyers such as the ones below:






I also don’t know if this is a real competition or not, but the funny part about it, is that as many of you can probably guess, I was nowhere near being on the homecoming court in high school or college so the concept of this does make me laugh a lot. I seem to be getting a lot of encouragement from the ladies, which is always great. (Gotta love the ladies!, and yes I know someone will talk to me about it later on since that topic seems to be a good one for people to tlak about) One of the copy editors from the Rocket wire wished me good luck with it and even called me Dr. Greg, either because I magically became a doctor overnight or because I give such a good advice. (a la Dr. Phil) Either way, it was really sweet.

I also heard from the Rocket wire that if I talk about the New-Media Journalism class, this thing gets read in your class. Now it depends on whether I want to massage my deflated ego or just plain write any more tonight. But I must say Missouri had a very good season this season, even ranked in the AP Top 25! I learned a long time ago to never, ever, ever criticize anything about the University of Missouri. It’s just common knowledge. And through perusing the New-Media Journalism’s current class blog (A fine read, by the way) someone decided to lead his review with lyrics from Billy Joel. (Or as he would like to call them “quotes”, apparently the music industry doesn’t call words to a song lyrics anymore.) Billy Joel is one of my favorite musicians and I have his favorite hits album, I and II. I’d thought I would end this gregarious post with some lyrics that 99 percent of the typical college students can identify with. ENJOY!

"So you stand on the corner in your new English clothes
And you look so polished from your hair down to your toes
But still your fingers gonna pick your nose, after all"

"But Captain Jack will get you high tonight
And take you to your special island
Captain Jack will get you by tonight
Just a little push 'n' you'll be smilin'
Oh yeah, yeah"

No comments: