Thursday, December 16, 2004

93

I think I should write a nice little remembrance of my grandpa who passed away Tuesday. He was 93. (Closer to 93 1/2) When I think about that, I think it's great he lived so long, considering, sadly in fact, that I've known people that haven't made it past 20, yet alone 93. He wouldn't go until he was darn ready, kind of like he didn't want to cut a visit or a conversation short with you unless he was darn ready.

Um, what I'll remember most? Definitely goota remember that he drove a Buick, he insisted on taping me a lot, (there's probably an orange tape with me on it circa 1988ish, about 4 years old.) also gotta remember the car rides, pipe organs, him asking me ridiculosly difficult math questions and me not having a clue what he was really taking about, talking to anybody he could find on the street, making music tapes for others because he wanted to and felt you had to have them, trains, that low-quality Zenith TV, and of course, pipe organ music. But I think what should most be remembered is that I think he cared about others, and he was generous both with money and of his time. So have a good time, Grandpa, and go take a car ride.

1 comment:

Sharon said...

I loved that, especially the part about the Buick, and loved it that you mentioned it at the funeral when we took turns remembering him. Everyone came up with so many details and good memories.
It was great to see you again yesterday.