Saturday, April 21, 2007

April, Not A Bad Month

This is one of the better times of year for me as far as sports entertainment value. Kind of like the all-encompassing viewing I get before I am bored much of the summer with baseball and counting the day till the NFL Pre-Season. I guess this got renewed by acquiring the Versus Channel last week. This channel usually is standard on many cable system but for whatever reason Comcast decided not to. So for a whopping $3 more I get Versus and a bunch of movie channel. Why is this important? Because Versus has the NHL Playoffs on cable, a usual rite of spring that gets people around the region to become hockey fans for as long as the Penguins remain in the playoffs. Playoff hockey is pretty fun to watch, especially in the later rounds. There are a lot of Penguin playoff memories, I have. Let's go.

1991-1992: The Pens win the Stanley Cup two straight years highlighted by teachers watching the parade (92) on a 13-inch TV which was probably all they could afford at the time.
1993-1995 - The playoffs begin choking during the playoffs with nothing memorable happening.
1996 - The Penguins get to Game 7 of the conference finals and lose thanks to the continuous ineptitude of Tom Barrasso giving up goals from the blue line a la gym class all-stars. This happened shortly after a field trip to Sea World. Yes, I sat in the first four rows and I sort of got wet I think. They made us wear these awful t-shirts to identify us.

2000-2001 - One year the Penguins beat the stupid Devils and a vivid memory is watching a game during a Sunday afternoon on FOX and seeing the Penguins score twice in the first minute of the third period making the Civic Arena crowd go crazy. Also, during this time I would sit on my bed sometimes and listen to the games on my Crayola clock-radio, absolutely praying the games didn't go to overtime since I had to get up for school the next morning. The radio coverage was hosted by the one and only Mark Madden who actually did a half-decent job until I realized he worked for WCW and promoted himself on the one and only ESPN radio. Sadly, I think high school was around the last time there were any playoff excitement until this season.

The NBA Playoffs started today which is not quite as exciting until the second round. Detroit teams need to lose at all costs. That includes the Red Wings, who I have no personal vendetta against except QTip is in love with the Wings and Pistons so they have to lose so I can point and laugh or something like that (like making a hilarious MP3).

Absolutely fantastic day outside today in Ridgway. I sat and watched Ridgway baseball. It's great to watch baseball when it's not snowing. Speaking of baseball, the Pirates continue to suck. I saw a quick 10-1 deficit after 6 innings last night to the Dodgers. Good for them. There's been a lot of rough stuff and cheap shots during the Hockey playoffs today. That's what makes hockey so interesting, except barely anybody watches it.

That's it. Until next time, make sure you keep yourself entertained and be happy because the sky is blue.

No comments: