Sunday, December 10, 2006

You Can Take Reedy Out Of College, But You Can't Take The College Out Of Reedy

Wow, what a week this has been. As some of you may have heard, this week was the week to put together the Winter Sports preview, a mixture of pagination, tiredness and lots of caffeine. It also included what I like to call an all-nighter. Let’s explain the fun that was Wednesday.

The Ridgway all-nighter

10 a.m. – wake up

11 a.m. – arrive at work

Noon – am told there are problems with ads on one of our sister’s papers tabs. Have to fix it.

1:30 p.m. – 5:30 p.m. – Paginate eight pages of tab while my co-worker gets yelled at for still doing his stories while I’m trying to paginate. We cut the tab from 12 pages to 8 while I do an awesome job of moving ads to get it to fit.

6 p.m. – I wait for composing to PDF ads while I hear entertaining stories about lots of stuff told by Jeff about Turkey and Gravy soda (apparently a real thing) and lots more great stuff.

6 – 9:30 p.m. – Ridgway boys basketball and losing for the first time this season. Not surprising since it was their first game of the year.

9:30 p.m. – 10:30 p.m. – I think we get everything squared away with the tab.

10:30 p.m. – 1 a.m. – Write a story, upload some pictures do a scorebox and then I think I had to paginate sports as well.

1 a.m. – 3:30 a.m. – This part is pretty much a blur but I do remember learning how to PDF pages with the copy editor there. We’re getting along pretty well right now, which is always good.

3:30 a.m. – 6 a.m. – I was still there and again I don’t know if I was actually doing anything other than light typing for news.

6:30 a.m. – Go home and sleep. By the way I should mention the reason this happened is I had to come in and proof early in the morning. But since our paper’s press is broke, the deadline was moved up and going home and sleeping for 2 hours seemed useless at the time.

Let’s hope the snowy weather holds off for a while. Driving in that stuff is just rough. I’m surprised so many people like it. I’m not particularly fond of it just that much anymore. I can stand the cold to a degree and now I’ve gotten used to the wintery weather and cold, just like I did while at school. The only difference is the sidewalks in Ridgway aren’t icesheets and I have to actually drive.

I guess I really shouldn’t have been surprised to see last week go so tough. Last week just happened to be the last week of classes at the Slippery Rock. I remember what those weeks were like, and they were worse than finals week. They were rough because all the professors seemed to think it was a great idea to make projects due the final week. Doing three to four projects at one with my constant procrastination and it could turn really rough.

So that’s about it, and the semester is coming to an end with the holiday season coming up faster than a friend request on Facebook. Good luck to everyone in finals week and especially to those graduating soon. That’s all for now, it’s back to the grind tomorrow.

No comments: